Thursday August 19th marked the Season Opener 2010-2011 of the SIRC at Hotel Hellsten in Stockholm.
To start the new Rotary Year and the introduction of the new SIRC President, Art P. Kosol, attendance was as high as the spirit of all who attended, accompanied with tasty treats and drinks.
Opening the meeting was Art Kosol, President and Mats Hultberg, Vice President, with a recap of 2009/2010 and an introduction to the Global RI initiatives for the coming Rotary year. The first being, 2010/2011 RI President Ray Klinginsmith’s philosophy behind the motto,
“Building Communities, Bridging Continents”
Other key commitments are to :-
- “ accommodate generation Y”,
- increase the use of Social media such as Facebook and LinkedIn,
- continue the unstinting support to Polio Plus to eradicate polio from the remaining 4 countries in the world still suffering from the disease and
- finally to rise to the “Bill Gates” challenge, promising to match dollar for dollar 250MUSD of RI-raised funds in the coming year.
As for the SIRC’s commitments for 2010/2011, the list is topped by:-
- club membership growth,
- international and local service projects including fundraising and
- support as well as improve overall attendance at the SIRC meetings.
During the evening we had the pleasure of exchanging club flags with Rajesh Hiremath from Rotary Tumkur East – District 3190, India who was visiting Stockholm with his wife Vidya.
To close the meeting, President Art Kosol and Sergeant-at-Arms Boel Eklund gave the room a lively and illustrated narrative of the 101st Convention of Rotary International in Montreal Canada that they attended in June.
A memorable, fun and musical Season Opener in the true spirit of the new SIRC President!